This is a perfect recipe for a quick evening snack! The ingredients may not make most people salivate immediately, but once the dish is ready it tastes unexpectedly divine. Let the banjaara within you sink into your favourite couch and bite into these crunchy cheesy patties, after a grueling, long day at work (or of course, on a blissful lazy Sunday).
Ingredients (for Patties):
- 1 Beetroot (grated)
- 2 medium Potatoes (boiled and peeled)
- 1 cup Semolina
- 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese (choose a variety you like)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green chilli (do feel free to add more if you like your meals spicy)
- Oil to roast patties
- Salt to taste
(for Mint Chutney)
- 150 g coriander leaves
- 50 g mint leaves
- 2 green chilli
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 peanuts
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 200 g whisked curd
- Salt to taste
- In a large plate mash the boiled potatoes.
- Collect and squeeze the grated beetroot in a separate bowl, so that it retains as little moisture as possible (the beetroot needs to be dry so that it’s easy to bind into patties).
- Mix the grated beetroot with the mashed potatoes and knead together.
- Divide into 6 equal parts and shape into patties. Press a deep dent in each patty and fill with some grated cheese and green chilli.
- Shape back into patties, carefully concealing the cheese and green chilli within the beetroot.
- Coat each patty with semolina, and roast on a pan till the patties turn a light golden in colour.
For the Mint Chutney:
- In an electric mixer, mix together the cumin seeds, lemon juice, coriander leaves, mint leaves, and green chilli, with a little water, just enough to give the chutney a gravy like consistency.
- Add some salt to taste, and mix 200 g whisked curd to the chutney. The curd transforms the taste of the chutney, so it’s best not to miss this step.
- Plate the Cheesy Beetroot Patties and serve with a bowl of the delicious Mint Chutney.